Monday, May 21, 2007

Not using the library is still a cool thing to do

At the end of the year, all the students have to come in and have me sign a sheet of paper proving that they don't owe the library any books. This way they can get their diploma.

And for the past two years, I have noticed this phenomenon where the students come in, hand me their sheet, and tell me that they haven't checked out a book the entire year--and sometimes, seniors tell me they've never checked out a book, EVER, in their four years at the school. I'm not sure how to react to this; I usually nod and say something noncommital, like "oh." I don't want to get pissed at them; it's not my business whether or not they use the library. I also don't want to give them the reaction they may be looking for--shock and dismay. To be honest, I don't care if they've checked out a book within the last year or not, but it IS troubling that this is a cool thing to say. Why is that? Is it simple teenage rebellion? Is it a larger social issue--kids still don't want to be perceived as nerds?

I think that, more than answering those questions, it's important to figure out how I can provide better services to these kids. Outreach, outreach, outreach.

I subscribe to a couple of marketing feeds. This is a good idea, I think, because it has nothing to do with books. I need to know what teens are watching on TV and in the movie theatres. What music are they listening to? How are other industries and organizations reaching out?

In a 2006 entry on one of these blogs, Thinking Outside the Book, Jill Stover lists the following tactics for getting non-users into the library:

Bring a friend: I'm a fan of the idea that our current patrons could be terrific partners in reaching out to new patrons, particularly since there is so much distrust of traditional forms of promotion. One way to do this would be to sponsor a "Bring a Friend" event, where current patrons bring friends and family who have never been to the library, have them sign them up for a library card, and enter a raffle. You could even feature your more enthusiastic borrowers by asking them talk to the newcomers about what the library means to them.

Win over key leaders: Every community has key leaders and influential people who may prove to be effective in getting non-users inside your doors. Are there any civic, business or social groups in your community that could benefit from what your library can offer? Contact the leaders of these organizations for a brief meeting or presentation in which you outline specifically how the library can be an asset to members. Perhaps offer to lead an on-site workshop on a topic of interest to members. To be convincing, you may have to change/redesign/repackage your services to fit the needs of these targeted groups. For example, last month the Associated Press reported that libraries in New York and Pennsylvania are reaching out to small business owners through customized online resource aimed at helping them to write business plans and do market research. Tailoring your services leads to the next tip...

Differentiate yourself: It's likely that one reason your non-users haven't made the leap to users is that they probably don't understand why your library's services are different or more useful than other sources of information they regularly use. When you reach out to these community members through e-mail or print mailings, events, etc., be sure to let them know what it is you can do for them that no one else can. Marketers call this your Unique Selling Proposition, and if you have one, flaunt it whenever possible. However, positive selling points will vary between target markets, so it's useful to fit your USP to each segment.

Let people talk back: Perhaps your non-users have all kinds of good reasons for not visiting your library, but how will you know what they are (and how to address them) on an ongoing basis unless you give people opportunities to share their thoughts with you? As you go out into the community, make it a point to ask people what you could do differently or better, or for any "Wouldn't it be cool if...?" ideas they may have. Include suggestion cards with mailings or when doing outreach events, and make sure that your Web site clearly shows how patrons can contact staff with questions or concerns.


These ideas are not school- or even youth-oriented, but they can still be applied to high school library services:

Bring a friend.
This is a great idea for school library programming (and one I hadn't thought of before), but I think there needs to be an incentive. Maybe for a movie night, everyone who brings a friend gets their name entered in a raffle for a pair of movie tickets.

Win over key leaders.
This boils down to forming some kind of teen/student advisory group. These kids can help you plan events that they know their friends and peers would like. They can help you spread information--and that information is far more effective coming from a peer than it is from a librarian. I am blessed with a teen group full of dynamic and highly-visible students.

Differentiate yourself.
I've only been here for two years, and while I feel that there have been some changes in the students' perception of the library, it's impossible to cause a sea change in such a short time. And I think this kind of action often takes place one-on-one, which takes a while. Differentiating yourself can be as simple as having a pizza party or telling middle schoolers that you'll buy any book they ask for--if they're not used to this kind of treatment, they might sit up and take notice. What are some other good PR moves?

Let people talk back.
I get feedback in a couple of ways. One is through the library suggestion box. Obviously, this doesn't reach kids who aren't in the library. I have distributed surveys through English teachers for two years now. These are good for both gathering data and letting kids know what is available in the library. And I have web-based polls, which ask anything from "what's your favorite TV show?" to "do we have enough of the books you like to read?" I think focus groups would be a great idea for this community, too--I have no experience planning them, but I'd like to learn.

Last year, I asked one student who told me he hadn't checked out a book in his four years here why he hadn't--and he said that the library was confusing. He couldn't figure out what books were where. That resulted in me purchasing larger and clearer signage, as well as proposing (and getting approval for) a more major library reorg that should help students find books more easily. So I guess these kids proclaiming that they're too cool for the library is a good thing--because it can bring about positive change. You just need to figure out how it all fits together.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hi, Sarah! Your post reminded me of a focus group on led with undergraduate researchers and I had one student say, "I hate books." I was pretty shocked by how strong that statement was! I'm thinking students don't really hate books, but they hate the hassle of getting them and other book-getting tasks. What's more important than getting people to use our "stuff" is to get them to see connections between what they want to accomplish and how we can help get them there through information, regardless of what form it's in. I think non-users are those peole who don't yet see the connections and possibilities. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!! :-)

Sarah L. said...

Jill, I hear that statement ALL THE TIME. A lot of kids hate using books because it's too hard to find information (i.e. using an index). I personally think it's much easier to find information in a book than via Google, but that's just me.
Thanks for the point about making the connections---it's a really important one! I'm going to think about this.