Friday, January 4, 2008

Gossip Girl

I think that reading Gossip Girl was what made me want to be a teen librarian. I just devoured them. I wished that something that engaging and AWESOME had been around when I was a teenager...of course, there wasn't much YA lit when I was in middle and high school, so I pretty much just skipped ahead to the adult books. I think some kids still do this, but there are so many more appealing titles now to entice even mature readers.

Anyway, I haven't read the whole series, because I had to stop at some point to read some other books. But I'm now fully addicted to the tv series on the CW. I love some of the elements of the series that they've put in, but I also love that it's become its own entity. Unfortunately, I hate the characters of Dan and Vanessa, and I loved them both in the books. I adore Blaire and Serena, though--and in the books, I was less attached to them. Meg Cabot wrote in her blog about being annoyed that the TV version had turned the story into a morality play--especially when it comes to Serena, who certainly is nowhere near as reformed in the books as she is on the show--and while I see her point, I think that the show does need one character who is the story's moral compass. In the books, I think it was Dan. In the show, I think it's Serena. Dan comes across as sanctimonious and whiny in the TV version, if you ask me.

I know that the girls at my school are eating up the show--and checking out the books more than usual. I think it hits all the right notes, and it's SO satisfying.

My first book challenge was over Gossip Girl. A 6th grader brought it home, and her mom contacted me about it. The ensuing conversation was really hard for me, because I understood the mother's point of view (her daughter was only 11 at the time), but my own convictions couldn't allow me to agree that the book shouldn't be in the library. Ultimately, the mom dropped the challenge. When I told Robin about it, he secretly emailed Cecily Von Ziegesar to tell her what had happened. I got an email from her that made. my. year. I won't reprint it in its entirety because I feel like that's a violation of her privacy, but the part that got especially got me was this:

I'm eternally grateful for your bravery and commitment. You have my full support, and without question the support of the entire library community--librarians love Gossip Girl!

It's soooo easy to bash Gossip Girl. Hey, my fellow school librarians do it all the time on LM_NET (which I just shouldn't read...it gives me heartburn). But go ahead and apply those 40 developmental assets and see what you come up with. Sure, on first glance, it might seem like these books--and even the show, to a lesser extent--are about rich teenagers with no morals and no consequences. But that's the lazy way out. Whether girls are reading it because of the breathless drama or the fact that they feel emotionally connected to one or more of the characters, the fact is that they ARE reading about teens who think, feel, and act much the same way that they do--just, maybe, with better shoes.

Of course, deciphering all this means actually READING the books...which I doubt many of the dissenters have done.

Regardless, I will always love Gossip Girl, and I will always have the utmost respect for the series' creator...and it's pretty cool to have her email in my address book!

3 comments:

WHSlibrarian said...

I am a HS librarian. There is an intrinsic difference in providing services in a public library and in a school library. In a school library there is a culpability factor. School libraries are curriculum driven. The materials provided in a school library support the curriculum as well as give students an opportunity to read a wide assortment of high quality fiction. The collection in a school also reflects the mores and morals of the community. In a public library one has the latitude to fill the shelves with popular material without fear of an irate parent. I fully support that. I am NOT a proponent for censorship on any level. A school is different and I think as school librarians we need to be cognizant of whom we are serving.

Sarah L. said...

Hi Catherine,
I think providing books that kids WANT to read is part of my job as a HS librarian, too--not just what someone else might qualify as "high quality."
In building the collection, I've always worried a lot more about the kids' morals than their parents'. Fortunately, this hasn't been a problem except in the one case of a parent challenging GG.
I am also lucky to have a very supportive head of school who I'm confident would take my side over that of an irate parent--which I know is a luxury of being in an independent school.
Sarah

WHSlibrarian said...

Hi Sarah

I read your post about your school library management class and the horror stories regarding being a school librarian. To some degree you are right, however being in the field many years I can honestly tell you that there are many rewards intrinsic in the position that you would never get in any other venue. One very obvious thing is money, public library pay is abysmal. It is a sad commentary but something that has never been addressed. As far as a public library not supporting a curriculum that I feel is a mistake. It would behoove a YA public librarian to cultivate a relationship with the schools and support the curriculum in areas in which the school does not have enough money to do so. Being alerted to projects and reading lists are a huge part of what a public library should do. Having worked in both venues for many years I cannot tell you how frustrated I was when I had no idea or resources available for a student that came in with a project or a reading list. Collaborating with the school librarians will go a long way with both the library board and the school district in keeping a library program running and vibrant. I have found over the years that grad courses and reality are a world apart. Practice rather than theory is the operative word.

As far as giving students what they “want” rather than what “some else” deems high quality, if you think about it, kids want lots of things that are often not good for them. That someone else is a highly qualified certified librarian with years and years of experience with the k12 audience.

I wish you the best of luck in your new position.

Catherine