Friday, June 1, 2007

The mission of the school library

This discussion going on in LM_NET has gotten me thinking about what a school library's job is. Call me crazy, but I think it's okay if a kid walks out of here without knowing Dewey. I think all they need to know is this:

1. The library is a great place to find information.

2. Librarians are really nice and they'll work really hard to get you what you need.

3. The library is arranged in a certain way, and there is a way of finding the stuff in the library.

All libraries are different. I don't think uniformity is necessarily the number one quality of a library. And the new generation of library users is very adaptable. They don't need everything to look the same in order to be able to use it; they learn by doing.

And I don't think information literacy goes away as soon as you change the way a library is organized. Just because you don't have to look up and find a call number doesn't mean you're not learning how to find the best source possible.

...who knows. I'm excited to see what happens with the Arizona library. I think I just get a kick out of seeing things shaken up a bit.

No comments: